Friday, October 29, 2010

I said it once before but it bears repeating now

I wrote this almost two years ago and figured I'd post it here:


In my twenty-five years on this planet I have had my fair share of crushes. Okay, I've had more than my fair share. There have been a few crushes that were more intense than others and I've found that they had one thing in common - mystery.

Every girl I know has had a thing for a guy like this at least once in her life. These guys were distant, quiet, and brooding. Every girl thought he was cute and he didn't seem to notice. He was artsy and beautiful. He was the cool guy, but not the obnoxious kind. His friends just seemed too infantile for him and you were certain that if you just got the chance to talk to him he would fall head over heels for you. Alas, you never got the guy and eventually you moved on.

Years later I have found that I still hold a special place in my heart for these mystery guys. You will see these guys and feel like a child again. Sometimes they're still mysterious but, more often than not they have completely burst the enigmatic bubble you've put them in for years. Instead of dating the artsy, free-spirited chick you knew he would be with, he is with a girl that is "so oatmeal" (thank you Lauren) you almost can't stand it. At this moment all you can think is, I thought you were different Mystery Guy. He is now hanging out with this girl and her vanilla friends and you wonder if he really is happy or if he is just conforming because it seemed like the right thing to do.

The truth is, what if that was the mystery all along? What if he was just like everyone else? He played the brooding teenager and has grown up to be just as oatmeal as his girlfriend. I guess that's part of growing up, realizing the truth about people. So for now the mystery is gone and he shall proceed to get married, have 2.5 kids, a picket fence, and a dog.

But he is still really cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment